When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
That’s how the saying goes, anyway, so I might as well give it a shot. You see, I started writing this the morning of Sunday, Nov. 5. Ordinarily I would have just gotten home from church, but today—which also happens to be my birthday—has been a little different.
Randy left for church—a 20-minute drive from our house—much earlier than the rest of us because he had tech duties to attend to there. The girls and I got ready and loaded into the van right on schedule, but when I went to start our trusty vehicle, nothing happened.
Well, actually, the dashboard lights came on and the van tried to turn over, but to no avail. We were stuck at home.
“Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans.”
John Lennon sang it in a song once, and I’ve been saying it over and over again this past year. It just seems to fit the season, if you know what I mean.
So rather than mope around this morning, I’ve watched the girls do homework, looked up Sunday hours for rental car places (just in case), made tomato sauce for ratatouille, and—finally—thought of what to write for this week’s blog post.
It seems appropriate, this being November and all, to make a gratitude list. And since I’m 47 today, that’s how long the list is going to be.
Without further ado, here’s what I’m thankful for right now:
• That Lilly had a great time at her Sweet 16 birthday party last Friday night.
• Fruit trays, Domino’s pizza and artichoke dip.
• A house that can accommodate 21 teenage girls all at the same time.
• S’mores ’round the fire pit.
• Sitting by the fire with Randy while all those girls were inside decorating picture frames.
• That Lilly has a solid bunch of friends who enjoy doing things like decorating picture frames on a Friday night.
• All Sons and Daughters’ song “Great Are You Lord.”
• A good birthday dinner with Lilly at our favorite Chinese restaurant.
• Family videos from when Lilly was five and Molly was two.
• That Lilly has learned to control the vast quantity of energy she had when she was little and now puts it to good use in her very busy life.
• The important character traits that grew in Molly as a result of having a sister like Lilly when she was small (patience, resilience, a mind of her own, etc.).
• A husband who knows how to decorate birthday cakes.
• That the pants I was going to wear to church this morning fit now. (Before the Whole30, they were too tight.)
• The fall splendor of the maple tree across the street.
• Needtobreathe’s song “Hard Love.”
• Auto insurance that covers towing expenses whenever the car breaks down.
• That we didn’t need to use that benefit because Randy was able to get the van going again when he got home from church.
• That the van ran well again after he added some kind of fuel cleaner to the gas tank.
• The wall of bookshelves in my basement.
• Smoked paprika (a discovery I made while on the Whole30).
• Chopping vegetables for ratatouille with Randy.
• Leftover sesame chicken.
• The Kansas City Chiefs (even when they lose).
• Hillsong United’s song “Not Today.”
• The smart phone ap that can track my mom’s hearing aids when she loses them.
• Hearing Molly say that she enjoys watching people open presents as much as she likes getting them herself.
• Sweatpants, coffee mugs and peppermint scented candles.
• My cozy home.
• Christmas music in November.
• That 47 isn’t nearly as old as it used to seem.
• An extra hour of sleep this weekend (thanks, daylight saving time).
• Chilly fall weather.
• Vehicles that start right up on Monday morning.
• Vintage mason jars with glass lids.
• The lovely people who read this blog.
• The dear ones who leave encouraging comments, even when I’m too scattered and/or overloaded to reply in a timely manner.
• Kristian Stanfill’s version of “In Christ Alone.”
• The kind people who care for my mom.
• My birthday cupcake.
• Scarlet Fiestaware dishes.
• Eggs and zucchini instead of cereal for breakfast.
• Handmade birthday cards from my girls.
• My new red umbrella.
• That we still get to watch one more season of “Fixer Upper.”
• Holiday baking shows.
• Perfectly ripened avacados.
• A few weeks to catch up (and maybe write some) before the busyness begins again.
There you have it—47 things that I’m thankful for right now. (Bonus points for you if you can guess my favorite color after reading all this).
So what’s on your gratitude list today?
♥ LoisIt seems appropriate, this being November and all, to make a gratitude list. Click To Tweet
Note: Today’s post was supposed to be a recap of our Whole30 adventure, but my mind was too full of birthday planning details to write about that. Stay tuned …